(Video) November 2022 Progress Potential & Possibilities Podcast - Interview with David Markowitz on High-Risk, High-Payoff Research for National Security Challenges (link)
(Video) October 2022 press conference on FELIX biodetection tools with leadership from IARPA, Ginkgo Bioworks, and Draper Laboratory. (Recorded Livestream)
(Audio) 2022 SxSW Futurology Podcast - Interview with David Markowitz on DNA Data Storage (mp3)
(Photo) Speaking at the Stanford Neurosciences Institute, on a panel with senior staff from Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Allen Institute for Brain Science.
(Video) January 2020 briefing to NIH leadership on next-generation neural circuit mapping tools and data that we developed on the IARPA MICrONS program. (Recorded Livestream)
(Photo) 2018 invited talk at SynBioBeta on scaling DNA synthesis and sequencing capabilities to solve scaling problems in data storage.
(Video) February 2018 briefing that defined the technical roadmap for the IARPA Molecular Information Storage (MIST) program, and the DNA Storage industry overall. (link)
Research programs that I developed and managed have received extensive media coverage. Examples:
- WIRED: "How to Detect a Man-Made Biothreat" (pdf | html)
- Bloomberg: "Tool Used to Rule Out Foul Play With Covid-19 May Spot Bioweapons" (pdf | html)
- Bloomberg: "How to Move On From the Debate Over the Origins of the Pandemic" (pdf | html)
- Progress, Potential & Possibilities Podcast: Interview with David Markowitz on High-Risk, High-Payoff Research for National Security Challenges (YouTube)
- SxSW Futurology Podcast: Interview with David Markowitz on DNA Data Storage (mp3)
- CNAS Announces Members of Task Force on Biotechnology and American Competitiveness (html)
- Semiconductor Engineering: "DNA Edges Forward As Data Storage Option" (pdf | html)
- Popular Science: "Inside IARPA's Quest to Store Data In DNA" (pdf | html)
- FedTech: "DNA and Glass May Provide Alternative Storage Methods as Data Backlog Grows" (html)
- Nature Biotechnology: Interview with David Markowitz, "Synthetic Virology: the experts speak" (pdf | html)
- GeekWire: "Scientists share a wiring diagram tracing connections for 200,000 mouse brain cells"
- Technology Review: "This is a map of half a billion connections in a tiny bit of mouse brain"
- Scientific American: "DNA: The Ultimate Data Storage Solution"
- Computer Weekly: "DNA storage promises 10 million x storage capacity boost"
- Future Human: “How Do We Know If a Virus Is Bioengineered?”
- OneZero: “A Smear of DNA Can Hold 10,000 Gigabytes of Data”
- Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News: “DNA Digital Data Whets Its Appetite”
- Le Monde (French): Le gouvernement américain investit dans le stockage de données dans l’ADN
- Singularity Hub, “Deep Learning Networks Can’t Generalize—But They’re Learning From the Brain”
- IEEE Spectrum, “AI Designers Find Inspiration in Rat Brains”
- Nature, “How DNA could store all the world’s data”
- Scientific American, “The Plastics Revolution: How Chemists Are Pushing Polymers to New Limits”
- Technology Review, “The U.S. Government Launches a $100-Million ‘Apollo Project of the Brain’”